7/7/13

Session Communication



This is the first set of photos taken with a coworker of mine. We went to the base of a mountain close to where we live and work and in this shallow streambed we found the perfect place to shoot some photos. We have never hung out before and this is really the first time we have ever come together to work on a project we both had interest in. He had some ideas of what he wanted and so did I. We started off the session a bit stiff and some of the photos show it so I changed tactics. Instead of chatting with him like a coworker and assuming he understands what I’m thinking, I started to chat with him like he is a client. I wanted to get him to 1, trust me and 2, open up and let me see his real smile or brooding face. (I think he likes photos of himself looking serious but the smirks are very nice too) 
 As we chatted and we both loosened up I got better results in showing true emotions. To me, a photograph without emotion is just a picture. So my take away and advice for anyone working with people you know but kind of don't really know is this… 
When you're in a session it’s a new world, and they are not the person that you know from work or whatever, they are a client and therefore for the time being your best friend in the world. I must say in retrospect that after we began this project we have developed a different relationship even at work. We may not be chummy but at least I can now call him a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment